Instagram is super important to your business, but it can be hard to know if what you’re doing is working. How do you know what type of posts help you gain new clients and what isn’t worth your time? That’s where Instagram Insights comes in.
What is Instagram Insights?
Insights is a feature that’s available on an Instagram business page. It allows you to take a look at all the statistics behind your posts. At a glance, you can see which photos are getting the most likes, how many people have clicked through to your website and much more.
How do I change to a business page?
Switching to a business page is definitely worth it. It’s totally free – you just need to link to with your business Facebook page.
Head to your Instagram settings and scroll down to ‘Switch to Business Profile’. From here, you’ll just need to follow a few simple steps and you’re done! Don’t worry, you won’t lose any of your existing posts.
You can then access your analytics directly on the Instagram app. Just click the graph symbol at the very top of your profile.
Once your business page is set up, here’s how to make the most of each part of Instagram Insights.
This section of the app is super important to see how your work on Instagram directly impacts your business.
Add a link to your website or online booking page to see how many people actually click through from your Instagram profile.
You can also add the option for you people to email or call you directly from the app, which again you can track to see how many of your enquiries have come direct from your page.
Under the ‘content’ section of Insights, you can see which of your posts and stories have worked best. There’s an overall round up of your top posts or you can filter to be even more specific, e.g. the post with the most likes in the last 6 months.
What are the metrics?
Metrics are the variables Instagram uses to measure the performance of your posts. It can be hard to get your head around some the marketing terms used, so here’s a simple breakdown:
- Impressions: the total number of times your post has been seen. This includes someone scrolling through their feed, someone clicking onto your profile and even views if someone shares your post in a DM.
- Reach: similar to impressions, reach is the total number of views your post has received. However, it won’t count multiple views by the same account.
- Engagement: the total number of unique accounts that have liked, commented or saved your photo. This doesn’t include multiple comments from the same user.
- Comments: the total number of comments on your photo, including multiple comments from the same user (for example, if you were chatting to a potential new client in the comments, it would include each reply).
- Likes: pretty obvious – the total number of likes your post has received.
You probably already have a rough idea of the average gender, age & location of your followers, as it should mirror that of your client base. However, it’s still interesting to take note of these stats in case you’re attracting different types of clients.
The tool that you’ll find most useful in audience section of analytics is the part that shows you the most popular times for your followers to be online. This makes it really easy for you to know what time you should be posting to give yourself the best chance of having your content seen.
Top tip: Using scheduling tools such as Later allow you to schedule posts in advance, so you’ll never miss peak times if you’re busy working salon.
Taking advantage of Instagram Insights not only helps you to tailor your posts to what your followers want to see, but it’s rewarding to see how your page is helping to directly grow your business.
If you’d like any further advice on using Insights, please feel free to post your question on The HD Brows Collective to get advice from our team and fellow Stylists!